(Backtrack 5 requires a USB wireless adapter to see wireless signals. A built in adapter will not work. For Backtrack compatible USB wireless adapters click here Backtrack wireless adapter reviews.
Backtrack 5 installation is fairly straight forward. There is two main ways Backtrack can be installed
The first way with VMware is the way that I like to usually run Backtrack. For those who do not know VMware is a way to run another operating system virtually within another operating system. Basically if you are running Windows and want to run a Backtrack/Linux install at the same time you can do this with VMware.
VMware works very well and as long as you have a fairly recent computer it should run fine. If you have an older laptop or older computer then the ISO may be better. Mainly because a ISO can be burnt to a disk or any bootable device and booted off of. When Backtrack/Linux is booted off a ISO then it does not run Windows in the back ground.
VMware workstation is not exactly cheap although there is a free version, but anyone who has used torrent or other P2P utilities know that getting things such as this is easy. There is a 30 day free trial for VMware workstation if you want to check it out. VMware player is the best bet because it is free and will run Backtrack. It does not have all the options of VMware workstation but does work. http://www.vmware.com/products/player
The download for the newest Backtrack 5 installs and so can be found here http://www.wirelesshack.org/backtrack-5-download . Install VMware first then add the Backtrack VMware image software into it. One thing to mention is that a built in wireless adapter will not work with VMware and Backtrack, a Backtrack wireless USB adapter will have to be bought which is why I have been reviewing Backtrack compatible USB adapters in other post.
Step by step Backtrack 5 VMware installation
- Download VMware www.vmware.com/products/player
- Download the Backtrack VMware image file. http://www.wirelesshack.org/backtrack-5-download
- Install VMware: follow the default options
- Once VMware is installed go to file, open, VMware Backtrack Image file location and click on the file. Backtrack will open and come up to a logon screen. The user name is root and the password is toor. Once you are logged in type startx and Backtrack will open into a GUI.
Backtrack 5 installation videos
Step by Step Backtrack 5 ISO install
- Download the Backtrack ISO http://www.wirelesshack.org/backtrack-5-download
- Download PowerISO or any ISO burning utility if you do not have one. http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm
- Install powerISO
- Install a DVD into the DVD burner and open PowerISO.
- Open the Backtrack image file in PowerISO then click burn and burn the Backtrack image file to DVD.
- Use the DVD to boot which ever computer you like into Backtrack.
(Hint: The Backtrack ISO can also be used in VMware. Also the Backtrack ISO can be made to boot off of a thumb drive.)