USB charging of devices has become standard and is here to stay with new technology only improving such as Quick Charge 3.0.
There are also USB wall chargers that simply plug into an existing outlet and work well but are not permanent and doesn’t look as nice as the new modern USB electrical outlet.
Replacing a wall outlet is not difficult but if in doubt always call a professional to do it for you.
In the steps below we are using Newer Technology Power2U AC Wall Outlet with USB Charging Ports, but there are many units to choose from and all are wired into an outlet the same.
AC Wall Outlet with USB Charging Ports on Amazon
Newer Technology Power2U AC Wall Outlet with USB Charging Ports (Light Almond)
How to Install an Electrical Outlet with USB Power Ports
- The first step is to turn the power off to the outlet by shutting the breaker off.
- Verify the power to the outlet is off by using a meter or plugging in a electric device such as a lamp and testing it.
- After the power is off remove the face plate by taking out the small screw in the middle.
- Two screws will hold the old outlet in place at the top and bottom and need to be removed.
- Pull the old outlet out to get access to the wires.
- Remove the old outlet by disconnecting the wires. Usually there is 2 black wires, 2 white wires, and a green wire.
- If any wires get damaged simply use wire cutters to re-stripe them.
- AC wall Outlets come with one AC plug longer than the other on the face-plate. The long slot is for the white wire and the short for the black wire.
- After the wires are screwed into place, push the outlet back into the wall. Sometimes it takes a bit of force simply be sure the wires dont come off while pushing it back in.
- The top and bottom screws need to be screwed in to hold it in place.
- Install the face-plate.
- The final step is to turn the breaker back on and test it out.
One side has brass screws and goes to the black (Hot) wire
The Black wire is called the Hot.
The White wire is called Neutral.
The Green Wire is called Ground.
Upgrading an AC wall outlet to also have USB power ports is a nice feature to have.
Not only do they look great but add very real functionality and ease of use when charging your electronic devices.
While wiring in an outlet is a good DIY project always call a professional if you have any doubts about the install.