Many users have problems getting a PS4 controller, wireless and wired, to connect and work with Steam.
I recently had this issue and after hours of searching, finally found a solution.
For me, this was a two-part problem, and you may be able to skip to the second part depending on your setup.
Two Main Problems when Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller
- Wrong DS4Windows version and Driver Installed
- DS4Windows Settings Wrong (Hide DS4 Controller Needs to be On)
If you are having a problem with Steam and a controller hopefully this posts solves the issue and get you up and running.
3 Fixes When Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller
- Fix #1: Download and Install the Correct DS4Windows
- Fix #2: Installing DS4Windows and the Correct Driver
There are many DS4Windows versions available to download online, and after trying several, I found one that worked for me.
Here is the link to the download that worked for me. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7176-ds4windows.html
The page does have a lot of ads so only click on the options below the Download Now button.
- Download the DS4Windows file and unzip/extract it.
- After the file is extracted, open it and select the DS4Windows main program.
- Click Program Folder
- The DS4Windows program will open and show if the controller is working.
For me, the controller was not working which I had to remove the old Driver.
- To remove the old Driver, go to Control Panel–> Hardware and Sound–> Devices and Printers– Wireless Controller.
- Select Uninstall Device to remove the Driver and restart Windows.
- Once Windows Restarts, open DS4Windows and go to Settings–> Controller Driver Setup, which will install the correct Driver.
- After the Driver installs, unplug the controller and plug it back in, and it should now work.
Right-click on your controller and select Properties, and Go to the Driver Tab.
Fix #3: Controller Works in Windows but Does not Work in a Game
Another problem I ran into was the controller started working in Windows but did not work in the game.
I was trying to play Forza, and the controller would not work inside the game but worked well when only in Windows 10.
I finally found that a single option inside DS4Windows needed to be turned on.
Using a PlayStation 4 controller with Steam to play a game does work, but problems can come up.
The main problem is to be sure a good version of DS4Windows is installed.
DS4Windows will install the right Drive so uninstall any Driver loaded by Windows.
Another issue I found is the “Hide DS4 Controller option” must be enabled or the controller does not work in the game.
Have you had a PS4 controller that does not work with Steam? Let us know your thoughts or fix in the comments below .