Every so often, an Android TV box will need a factory reset or the Firmware updated, which is easy enough to do with a few steps.
What is a Factory Reset?
A Factory Reset sets a box back to its original settings wiping any user data.
This is usually done when selling a box to delete all your data, such as apps, passwords, and so on.
What is a Firmware Update?
The Firmware is the software part of the box that controls everything such as WiFi and Video.
A Firmware update, done wrong, can brick a box, making it unusable.
Using the correct Firmware version is very important; even new versions of an Android box can make a difference.
Should You Factory Reset or Update the Firmware?
Factory Resetting a box sets a unit to the original state it came in, deleting any settings that were changed.
Since there is no update, much less can go wrong, and Factory Resetting Android devices such as phones are done all the time.
Firmware updates can brick a box if done wrong.
For this reason, a Firmware update should only be done if absolutely necessary.
Updating the Firmware is not difficult; the main thing to usually causes problems is using the wrong Firmware file.
Steps To Set an Android TV Box in Android Recovery Mode
The first step is to set a box in Android Recovery Mode.
Basically, with the power Off, the reset button is held. Power is turned On while holding the reset button for 8-10 seconds, and then let go.
- Locate the Reset button and Power Plug/Button.
- Press and hold the Reset button and plug in the box powering it on (Sometimes the power button is used). Keep pressing the Reset Button for 10 seconds, and then let go.
- The box should come up into Recovery Mode with several options.
Steps to Factory Reset an Android TV Box
Once in Recovery Mode, the following steps will set the unit back to its default settings erasing all user data.
- To Factory Reset the box, select Wipe data/factory reset.
- A warning box will come up; click Yes.
- All the data will be erased.
- After it is done wiping the data, select Reboot system now. Sometimes it can take a while to reboot.
Steps to Update the Firmware on an Android TV Box
- Locate and download the Firmware file for your box. Usually, this can be done with a simple Google search or the manufactures website.
- Copy the Firmware file to an SD-card or flash drive and insert it into your box.
- Go to Recovery Mode and click on Apply update from SD card.
- Click on the Firmware file.
- The box will flash the new Firmware to the unit and show the results on the screen. If it was successful or there was an error it will show the results.
- If it doesn’t restart automatically select Reboot system now. Sometimes it can take a while to reboot.
Resetting an Android TV box and erasing all the data is easy to do with a few steps.
Flashing new Firmware also is only a few steps but can Brick your box if done wrong.
When it comes to Firmware every manufacturer does things differently. Some will do updates and have a download page, while others will have no information.
Often many would also like to update to the newest Android version. Some boxes will not be able to update to the newest Android version depending on the unit and Firmware, be sure to read the documentation.
Flashing the Firmware is done all the time, even with custom versions; simply be aware of what can go wrong and read forums, websites, and so on to get the best information for your box.