ATSC 3.0 also called Next Gen TV is the new standard set to replace the older ATSC 1.0 bringing many improvements to free over-the-air TV.
Improvements include Ultra HD 4K TV resolution, high dynamic range, refresh rates up to 120Hz, and better signal reception.
ATSC 3.0 will have much better transmission signals for those who use an antenna to pick up OTA TV.
The current standard being used is called ATSC 1.0 which replaced the older analog transmissions in 2009.
- At least 40 TV markets in the USA have committed to broadcasting ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020.
- Most TV areas are still 1-2 years away from an upgrade.
- After an ATSC 3.0 upgrade TV transmission will still be transmitted simultaneously with ATSC 1.0 for 5 years.
- ATSC 3.0 is Not backward compatible with ATSC 1.0.
- A new TV Tuner will be needed to pick up ATSC 3.0 broadcast.
- TV antennas will still work with no need to upgrade.
- ATSC 3.0 will be voluntary for stations to switch.
- There is currently no need to upgrade with ATSC 3.0 slowly rolling out and ATSC 1.0 broadcast for at least 5 years.
There is no need to rush out and upgrade your TV equipment to receive ATSC 3.0 as ATSC 1.0 will still work even after an upgrade.
Broadcast companies are required to send out an ATSC 1.0 signal for at least 5 years after an upgrade.
Most areas have not yet switched to ATSC 3.0 but 40 TV markets in the USA have committed to broadcasting ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020.
TV antennas will still work but TV tuners built into TV sets and external TV tuners will need an upgrade to receive a signal.
Benefits and Improvements of ATSC 3.0 Next Gen TV
- Ultra High-Definition 4K TV.
- Immersive Audio with Dolby AC-4.
- Improved signal quality.
- Able to pick up stations while mobile.
ATSC 3.0 Next Gen TV is not widely in use yet but that looks to be changing in 2020 with big upgrades coming across the USA.
You will still be able to pick up the older ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years and possibly longer.
The real benefit will be 4K resolution and better signal quality especially for those farther away from TV transmission towers.
Limitations of the current ATSC 1.0 include weak transmission signals and unable to carry a mobile signal.
Since the ATSC 3.0 upgrade is voluntary for broadcast companies be sure to check your area for any news for Next Gen TV.